<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: The Red - Chevelle

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Friday, January 21, 2011

The Red - Chevelle

Superman: Red Son

Author: Mark Millar
Genre: alternative history
Pages: 148
Publisher: DC Comics

I enjoy comic books, although I have not read many of the classics. At least not yet. Superman is one of my least favorite superheroes; he is a boring do-gooder with a lame disguise. For this alternative history, I was willing to give Superman a chance.

For any history lover, this is a must read. The idea of a Soviet Superman is incredibly interesting from a Cold War perspective. I wish we had read this for my Soviet Union class in undergrad (only sort of kidding). I took this in to work today and showed one of my coworkers. He is in his upper 40s or so and was absolutely astounded and horrified at the thought of a Soviet Superman. Having been such an American icon, this is a really amazing reimagination.

The historical goodies in here are just delightful. For example, Superman's Soviet emblem or the propaganda posters. The absolute corruption of absolute power is certainly in evidence too. Watching Superman transition from goody two shoes into the heir of Stalin is remarkable, but believably accomplished.

I loved this, except for one thing: the ending. It's a bit open-ended, so I am not one hundred percent sure I hated the ending, but I am definitely annoyed by it. There must have been a better way to conclude the story.

A quick, wonderful, thought-provoking read set in the Cold War era. (Can you tell us where the nuclear wessels are?)

"So lay down, the threat is real,
When his sight goes red again.
Seeing red again,
Seeing red again."

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Roscoe said...

"boring do-gooder"

Oh, ma'am, no.. Do yourself a favor, go hunt down All-Star Superman. Morrison and Quietly might even sell you on the Clark Kent persona (Interviewing Lex in Jail. All I'mma sayin'), but they'll definitely erase the boring from that description, and pretty much redeem the other half of the phrase.

February 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They have All-Star Superman at my local library, so I will check that out.

February 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home