<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: She's a Lady - Tom Jones

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

She's a Lady - Tom Jones

Beauty Queens

Author:
Libba Bray
Pages:
390
Publisher: Scholastic Press

Very Brief Summary:
Lord of the Flies...with Beauty Queens. I could tell you more, but, really, that's all you need to know.

Review:
Thus far, I have been hugely skeptical of Libba Bray. I read A Great and Terrible Beauty and found it neither great nor terrible; mostly, I thought it was boring. After that let down, I had little desire to read more of her stuff, despite the crazy buzz about Going Bovine (and the pressure of my friend Nori). Allow me to happily renounce any bad thing I have said about Libba Bray in the past! This book was off the hook awesome and I am now very glad that I gave into the impulse to purchase A Great and Terrible Beauty (from Goodwill), since I hope to find things I missed before.

Why is this book so great? Well, how about I give you a little (or long) list.
  1. It's a dystopia.
  2. Beauty Queens stranded on an island...who doesn't want to see that? Also, how did the Corporation not think of that?
  3. The mocking of pretty much every aspect of pop culture, most especially of reality television.
  4. The Corporation. You may wonder why I would love an evil corporation that's trying to take over the world and doing all sorts of awful things. That's because the commercials remind me of Veridian Dynamics, so I spent the whole book imagining that it was The Corporation. Oh references, intended or not.
  5. Girl power. For an example, check out Tiara's speech on page 335.
  6. Love for the LGBT community.
  7. Everyone didn't pair off in the end. I get so sick of that, sweet as it is. In real life, everyone doesn't find their true love at 16.
  8. Every page is abso-friggin'-lutely hysterical. I dare you to read this book and not laugh out loud at least once.
So yeah, I definitely need to read the rest of Libba Bray's stuff and to procure a copy of this book for my very own, since I read one from the library. Also, I just realized that Libba Bray's name uses only letters from the word library. Coinkydink? I wonder...

Oh, and just for funsies, here is my one criticism of the book: on page 361, Adina says something (singsongs it, actually). Unfortunately, she's not actually in that scene yet. Wah wah. Editor fail. She enters on page 363.

That brings us to the song for today. Although there are a lot of things that would be hilarious and appropriate for today's book, I also cannot miss adding a reference to Miss Congeniality. I also love imagining Adina or Taylor reacting to some guy saying this to them. haha.

"She's got style, she's got grace, She's a winner.
She's a Lady. Whoa whoa whoa, She's a Lady.
Talkin' about that little lady, and the lady is mine.
Well she's never in the way
Always something nice to say, Oh what a blessing.
I can leave her on her own
Knowing she's okay alone, and there's no messing."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Nori said...

Success! Really, this book was my favorite book of the summer! Sooo good. I love her. It would take you a while to read Going Bovine just because it's very strange. But, I think after a while, if you refused to give up, you'd enjoy it. And you know I loved her other books! But, really, I'm so happy you read this one and liked it!

August 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Omg, her name does use only letters from the word "library"; how weird! Re-reading your review just reaffirmed how much I want to read this book. I'm not sure if you'll like Going Bovine(I think I was mostly 'meh' about it, but you know how poor my memory is. haha), but there are plenty of laugh out loud moments in that book, too!

February 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Great review!

March 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

I loved this book! Totally recommend Going Bovine, it's pure insanity but awesome.

March 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I recently nabbed a copy from Goodwill (in pristine condition - holla!), so I'll get to it one of these days!

March 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger hbjgvhuogyihpo said...

I've heard a lot of great things about this book, and your review just added to the reasons I want to read this book. (:

March 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Owl In A Cloak said...

This kinda sounds awesome.

April 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

It is!

April 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

This sounds awesome!! I saw this at B&N the other day!! Darn i should've gotten it:/
-JennyC

May 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home