<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Fool - Marie Digby

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fool - Marie Digby

Soul Thief
The Demon Trappers, Book 2

Author: Jana Oliver
Pages: 324
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Brief Summary:
In the second installment of the Demon Trappers series, Atlanta, the Trappers Guild and Riley Blackthorne are still reeling from the demon attack on the Tabernacle. Riley's deal with Heaven saved her boyfriend, Simon, but he's different now, blaming her and her father for everything. Well, when God takes a boyfriend, he gives you a sexy mystery guy in the form of Ori, a freelance demon hunter. Hopefully, he can protect her from the geofiend that's still after her, since she's busy worrying about who raised her father, how the holy water scam is being accomplished, what's wrong with Simon, and convincing the demon hunters from the Vatican that she's not in league with Hell.

Review:
The Demon Trappers series may not be great literature in any way, but it is super enjoyable so far. Some elements, like her crazy religious stuff, which is getting more potent, annoys me, but I still read along at a swift pace, curious to discover what will happen next.

In its weak spots, Soul Thief reminds me of the House of Night series by the Cast mother-daughter team. This is definitely a bad thing. What saves the book from the horrors of that series is Riley. Although she's not the brightest, she does truly believe in her actions and she does what she can to help others. Unlike Zoey Redbird, she does not screw others over intentionally.

One really good thing that happened here was Simon going crazy. I really don't like Simon. Even at his sweetest, he kind of creeped me out and I never thought he and Riley made sense. I felt so justified when he acted like such a jerk after she saved his life. Beck is my favorite of the guys in her life, I guess, although I don't necessarily approve of his decisions (or his annoying accent). The whole protecting her by telling her what to do business is rather irritating; besides, he ought to know her well enough to know that ordering her around is going to have the reverse effect. Plus, if he really wanted to stop her, why not spend more time with her and less belly up to the bar?

Like the first book, The Demon Trapper's Daughter, this one is a definite thrill ride, filled with romance, betrayal and action sequences. This is a fun ride.

"You laid your trap pitifully obvious
But sometimes a good girl falls through

It's true, I'm not the only one

To fall in love with a fool

I fell in love with a fool


At the end of the hall

In room number 804

Lives the devil himself in his dark kept secret hell

And curiosity grew with every single following day

And I would dream, dream that you're here with me

I hate to say I'm giving in to you"

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nori said...

Hooray! I started this one, but was interrupted by my Amazon box...Though, now I'm super excited to keep reading. I really enjoyed the first one too. And I was hoping for some Beck love, but I guess I gotta keep hoping?

September 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home