<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Persephone - Third Eye Blind

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Monday, October 24, 2011

Persephone - Third Eye Blind

The Goddess Test
The Goddess Test, Book 1

Author: Aimée Carter
Pages: 293
ARC Acquired from: HarlequinTeen via NetGalley

Brief Summary:
Kate Winters does not want to face the future, a future without her mom. Above and beyond the mom thing, her mother is also her best friend. Kate doesn't know what she'll do when her mother finally succumbs to the disease ravaging her insides. During her last days of life, her mom requested a return to her hometown, Eden, MI. Although Kate hates to leave New York City, she would do anything for her mother, except face a future without her. As soon as she moves to Eden, Kate's life starts taking a turn for the different and strange when the popular girl at school tries to trick her and ends up dying in front of her. Thankfully, a mysterious stranger named Henry brings her back to life, in exchange for Kate spending six months a year with him...

Review:
I really do not know why I did not read this book sooner! I've had an ARC copy of it for a while now and just didn't have a chance to get to it, but, had I known how good it would be, I would likely have bumped it up the queue. While the book wasn't perfect, as I had some concerns with the pacing, I wholly enjoyed reading every page.

First of all, my one complaint: the pacing. This may be an issue that has been resolved in the print version, but, as I read an ARC, I cannot say. In this version, a few times the plot seemed to jump from one point in time to another without warning, as though a scene were missing. One example I remember off of the top of my head is that Kate receives a puppy and then, in the next chapter, a dog named Pogo is mentioned, without any mention having been made of the puppy being named Pogo. I figured it out, but it was a bit clunky.

The writing was fantastic, though. I really enjoyed the characters and the story line, even though it was rather strange. So far, Aimée Carter is doing something really new and I'm loving it. The ending of the book was totally not what I was expecting and I have some serious questions. I really wish I knew someone else who had finished this, so that we could discuss the book's conclusion!

If you love mythology, don't miss this YA romance!

"I pushed away a summer breeze
I want the promise of a real spring

Free and born again

Help me


Old emotions are coming back to me"

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Linda Henderson said...

I do enjoy mythology so I don't know why I haven't read this one yet. It's been on my radar for a while but I just haven't picked it up yet. I'll be getting it soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

March 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Reading the sequel now and am remembering some frustrating things, but it's still a really fun read.

March 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of Greek Mythology and was planning on reading this, but my friend recommended against it. After hearing your praise for this book, however, I've decided to give it a try.

April 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Warning: book two was super painful. All the not good things got way worse!

April 17, 2012 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Bookie Bee said...

I have been interested in Greek mythology! Can't wait to get my claws on this!

May 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Ok. So I read this book and the Goddess Interrupted and the Goddess Hunt(an inbetween excert). I love all these books! Henry is one of my favorite male figures. I did not notice any time lapses in the book but now that you mention it, I think I will reread them and look for them. No matter what the "mistakes" are though these are still awesome books! I suggest them to all my friends.

July 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Well, I don't remember specifically what I noticed any more, but whatever issues I encountered may have been fixed in the finished version. So who knows?

I didn't like the second book, but I thought this one was really fun. *shrug* I know tons of people loved them all, though!

July 31, 2012 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I read the Goddess Test and just loved it! I also read the sequel, Goddess Interrupted, and it just made me cry. ):
I can't wait for the last installment! :D

January 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I liked this one, but the next one made me SO MAD. I do not plan to finish the series. I'm over it.

January 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home