<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Father - Cat Stevens

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Father - Cat Stevens

Away
The Line, Book 2

Author: Teri Hall
Pages: 234
Publisher: Dial Books

I read the first book in this series, The Line, a couple of years ago over spring break. Although a little slow moving at the beginning, I thought, at the time, that it had some promise, that it was doing some interesting things that intrigued me and made me want to give the second book a chance. So here I am.

Unfortunately, I do not feel any sort of a connection to this book. Away bored me from the beginning to the end. The cool elements, like the powers some of the Others have, are largely ignored, and the ones that get used to any fairly significant degree are lame.

The writing, too, was utterly uninspiring. I suppose it must have been in the first one too, but being less entertained this time, I could not help noticing it now. The simplistic nature of the writing might make this a good book for reluctant readers that do not like too much action in their books. If you like the works of Lisa McMann, you might like Teri Hall's fairly sparse writing style.

To be completely fair to Away, I have only the vaguest memories of The Line, so maybe I have forgotten something crucial to the enjoyment of the second book. Whatever the case, it's safe to say that I will not be returning for the next installment.

"Father, oh father
You give me just a little hope

I feel something out there reaching for me

Well, here I am

Won't you take me with you

Out of this maze

And away from this place?"

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home