<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Hold On, Hold On - Neko Case

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Hold On, Hold On - Neko Case

Every Other Day

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Pages: 336
ARC Acquired from: Egmont via NetGalley

Brief Summary:
Every other day, Kali is human. The days in between, well, not so much. To be honest, she has no clue what she is. All she knows is that on those non-human days, she has an irresistible urge to kill anything paranormal that gets too close. She thinks of herself as a hunter, and a freak. Her father doesn't notice her odd habits, like coming in with blood-stained clothing. She lives her strange life quietly, trying to avoid all notice. When she starts a new school, she makes her first friend, which is awesome but also the start of some serious danger.

Review:
What a fun paranormal romp this was! Paranormal has been a bit overdone recently, although, to be honest, I still love it (when it's done creatively). Barnes has taken the paranormal craze and given it an alternative history twist, which I think is pretty fantastic. In this world, Darwin discovered a hydra when he went sailing on the Beagle, which let the paranormal cat out of the proverbial bag. All of this is humorously similar to the beginning of the divergence in Leviathan.

Kali is awesome. For one thing, she's one tough chick. Despite being rather closed off, she's not a total jerk to everyone either. She has a sense of humor and does the best she knows how to with the cards she's been dealt. Plus, she's part Indian. It's nice having heroines that come from different cultures.

Every Other Day would probably be a good book for boys too, if you could get them to look past the fact that it sounds like a chick book. The book is primarily composed of action scenes. Many hell hounds and zombies are slaughtered within its pages. As I mentioned, Kali's hardcore.

Plus, there's not really any romance. This is the point that separates the book from the bulk of YA fare aimed at girls, especially when it's paranormal. Although there is some suggested romance, nothing happens. I appreciated that, because I don't think there was anyone who worked for her just yet. Besides, it's nice to see a book step out of the standard formula and dare to be different.

The ending totally left a sequel a possibility, although I don't know that one is intended. It would be probably have to be targeted more to adults, but I, for one, would love to get more of Kali's story. Think about it, Jennifer Lynn Barnes!

Rating: 4/5

"The most tender place in my heart is for strangers
I know it's unkind, but my own blood is much too dangerous"

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nori said...

I'm reading this one really soon! I'm so glad you liked it! Have you read her wolf books?

December 26, 2011 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Not yet, but I plan to read more of her books, since this one was good.

December 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Emma B. said...

This was one of my favorite Netgalley reads. And I got lucky enough to meet Jennifer Lynn Barnes in Chicago last month. I even got a free signed book!

May 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That's awesome! She tweeted a couple of my comments during the TakenByStorm twitter contests. She thinks I'm funny! That was win enough, even if I didn't win the contest!

May 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the review! I won this recently and now I'm even more excited for it to arrive. I can't wait! :D

February 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Woo!

February 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home