<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Until It Sleeps - Metallica

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Until It Sleeps - Metallica

The Dispatcher

Author: Ryan David Jahn
Pages: 351
Review Copy Acquired from: Penguin

Brief Summary:
Ian Hunt works as a police dispatcher in middle-of-nowhere Texas. Most of the calls are bogus, and he spends a lot of time playing solitaire on the computer. One day, though, he gets a call from his daughter Maggie, who has been missing since she was kidnapped seven years before. He now knows that his daughter is still alive, but, by the time the cops get to the pay phone she called from, she has been recaptured. What will a father do to get his daughter back?

Review:
On first look, and perhaps the next several looks as well, The Dispatcher is a gritty story of revenge, of vigilante justice. It reads somewhat like an episode of CSI, Law and Order or Criminal Minds, if those were told from the perspective of a third person narrator, so that the audience knows what every party is thinking. Violence, action, and horrible people abound.

More than that, though, this book is a study in psychology and human nature. Jahn considers what humans are capable of doing when they feel their backs are to the wall. He also plumbs the emotion of love and what horrors can come out of it. None of the characters in this book come out of it without blood on their hands, whether literally or figuratively, but all of them, one could argue, and I do, are in some way motivated by love, and not love for themselves, but for someone else.

The opening sequence is definitely an attention grabber. It really made me think. I do not have kids, and have no interest in having any, but as I reader I try to put myself in the place of the characters as much as I am able to. Ian's love for his daughter is evident in the way he never gave up hoping she might be alive, despite the incredibly low and discouraging odds for the survival of abducted children. I wonder, though, whether it would be more painful to find out that your daughter had been dead all that time or that she was alive. Can you imagine the guilt you would feel that your daughter had been nearby all that time and you had given up the search and left her to whatever awful ministrations the kidnapper has been putting her through all of these years?

Incredibly tragic, too, is the character of Maggie Hunt. Even if she is rescued, how much hope is there for her now, really? She is 14, but having been kidnapped since she was 7, her mental development is stalled. Her only companion for years has been a grisly figment of her imagination. What capacity will she have for trust, for love?

If you enjoy seriously dark stories of murder and people pushed to their limits, Jahn's book may be for you. Be prepared, though, for an open ending. These always drive me crazy because I so much want to know!

Rating: 3/5

"So tear me open but beware
There's things inside without a care
And the dirt still stains me
So wash me 'till I'm clean

I'll tear me open make you gone
No longer will you hurt anyone
And the hate still shames me
So hold me
until it sleeps"

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home