<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Fix You - Coldplay

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fix You - Coldplay

Blue Monday
Frieda Klein, Book 1

Author: Nicci French
Pages: 322
Review Copy Acquired from: Penguin

Brief Summary:
Frieda Klein is a therapist, who helps people come to terms with their own lives and function better. She has her own problems, though, like a crippling fear of letting anybody in. This includes her boyfriend, Sandy. She tries to avoid getting too caught up in anything. Forcing her out of her usual routine is a new patient, Alan, who's dreams about a child strike a chord with her. Could he be the one who has taken the missing boy that all the papers are talking about? Frieda quickly becomes caught up in the investigation of an incredibly complicated crime.

Review:
As I've mentioned before, I'm not a big mystery reader. I enjoy them, but they tend a bit too much to the formulaic for me, although I realize the irony given how much time I spend reading YA paranormal novels. Also, being a character-driven reader, I generally have trouble relating to the hard-boiled detective types.

That said, I really enjoyed reading this, perhaps even loved it. I have always been fascinated by the minds of criminals, along with everyone else apparently, given the popularity of shows like Criminal Minds. Blue Monday focuses on the kidnapping of young children, a girl and 20 years later a boy. The reader gets a third person view into the mind of every character, which really worked for this novel.

What I definitely loved was that the focus of the book, and the series, is Frieda. She is awesome and a character I can totally relate to, even in her desire to push people away. She is really why I so much enjoyed reading this book, because she really has a strength as a character. Plus, I liked that the mystery was from the perspective of a psychologist rather than a detective, which gave a different filter to the story.

I know I will be reading more Nicci French (Nicci Gerrard + Sean French) novels in the future, especially the next Frieda Klein book. So glad there's more!

Rating: 4/5

P.S. I really want you to know that this cover looks so much prettier in person, because it's all shiny.

"When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you"

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home