<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: 2 Bodies 1 Heart - Noah and the Whale

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

2 Bodies 1 Heart - Noah and the Whale

Spellcaster
Spellbound, Book 2

Author: Cara Lynn Shultz
Pages: 371
ARC Acquired from: HarlequinTeen via NetGalley

Description from Goodreads:
Finding your eternal soulmate - easy.

Stopping a true-love-hungry evil - not so much…

After breaking a centuries-old romantic curse, Emma Connor is (almost) glad to get back to normal problems. Although...it's not easy dealing with the jealous cliques and gossip that rule her exclusive Upper East Side prep, even for a sixteen-year-old newbie witch. Having the most-wanted boy in school as her eternal soul mate sure helps ease the pain-especially since wealthy, rocker-hot Brendan Salinger is very good at staying irresistibly close....

But something dark and hungry is using Emma and Brendan's deepest fears to reveal damaging secrets and destroy their trust in each other. And Emma's crash course in über-spells may not be enough to keep them safe…or to stop an inhuman force bent on making their unsuspected power its own.


First Sentence: "You probably don't remember me, but I remember you."

Review:
When I saw this in NetGalley (along with Goddess Interrupted), I may have squeed. It's possible. Anyway, I read the first book, Spellbound, late last year. I totally didn't expect to like it; I mean, the soul mate plot line is so overdone. However, Cara Lynn Shultz proved to me that it can still be done well!

Reading Spellcaster after Goddess Interrupted definitely created an interesting juxtaposition. In the latter, Kate constantly whines about not being told anything and has to be protected; I don't think she'll be that way in book three, but in this one, oy. Anyway, Emma definitely does not do that. I mean, she cries sometimes and does like that Brendan's protective, but she also fights and hard for herself, her friends and her love. She doesn't just complain; she gets things done.

Even the soul mate thing could be really disgusting, like it is in a lot of YA books, Shultz deals with it gracefully. I actually like Emma and Brendan, and their relationship. In spite of the soul mate thing, they do have issues. Plus, I like that they're not rushing into everything. Even thought they've been through so much at the beginning of this book, they still haven't had sex, because Emma's not ready yet. I love that Shultz is showing that every relationship is different and that, no matter how in love two people are, that doesn't mean they're ready for that step. It's such a good, non-preachy message.

Much as I do like the characters, what really makes Shultz's books shine, though, is her fresh, funny voice. I laughed so many times during this book. Pretty much every quote I marked as I read through was one that made me giggle or snicker, as did the one I finally selected as my favorite. (Gotta love a heroine who knows her grammar!) The characters banter like real friends do, and I love it so much. Plus, Shultz's humor keeps the whole soul mate thing from being too serious, because even Emma and Brendan know it's kind of ridiculous, just like life.

Spellbound is an incredibly clever, humorous series. If you're looking for some fun YA books, look no further.

Rating: 4/5

Favorite Quote: "It's hard to take someone seriously when they leave you a note saying, 'Your ugly.' My ugly what? The idiot didn't even know the difference between your and you're."

"We're two
Atoms in a molecule
Inseparably combined
Oh like a piece of rope
Made out of two pieces of vine

Oh I feel the bond
Oh between your heart and mine
And it's the bond that won't break
With the displacement of time

Cos we're just
Two Bodies with just one Heart
We're just
One body that one day fell apart"

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Christina Kit. said...

I love these books!

Awesome characters, they're believable and flawed but great.

And I love the plot!

March 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Giselle said...

I've been meaning to start this series for a while it sounds pretty neat with great characters as well!

March 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

You totally should. I would say that the Paranormalcy series would be the closest read-a-like, just in the humor both maintain while approaching the YA paranormal plot lines.

March 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love that quote. I'll definitely add this series to my tbr list!

March 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home