<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Waiting on Wednesday (13)

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (13)


Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine.

They had me at Philip Pullman. That would have been enough, but there's more. So much more. Fairy tale retellings! Hell to the freaking yeah! Fairy tale retellings are seriously some of my very favorite things to read. I am also super encouraged by the fact that this is being published by Viking Adult, both because Viking does a lot of great stuff and because if it's for adults that means the stories will probably be creepy like the originals. Of course, I enjoy the retellings for kids, but I also appreciate the sheer brutality of the original fairy tales, where one of the sweet put-upon heroines might think the best way to celebrate her wedding is to have her bird friends pluck out her stepsisters' eyes as they walk down the aisle. Yeah. Bring it on, Philip Pullman!

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version

Author: Philip Pullman
Expected Publication Date: November 8, 2012
Publisher: Viking Adult

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Two hundred years ago, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm published the first volume of Children’s and Household Tales. Now, at a veritable fairy-tale moment—witness the popular television shows Grimm and Once Upon a Time and this year’s two movie adaptations of “Snow White”—Philip Pullman, one of the most popular authors of our time, makes us fall in love all over again with the immortal tales of the Brothers Grimm.

From much-loved stories like “Cinderella” and “Rumpelstiltskin,” “Rapunzel” and “Hansel and Gretel” to lesser-known treasures like “Briar-Rose,” “Thousandfurs,” and “The Girl with No Hands,” Pullman retells his fifty favorites, paying homage to the tales that inspired his unique creative vision—and that continue to cast their spell on the Western imagination.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

Interesting choice! I haven't read many of the Grimm Brothers' fairy tales. And those shows are also on my to-watch list. Thanks for sharing!

Feel free to check out my WoW here.

June 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger fakesteph said...

This looks excellent!

June 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Aww...I loved those tales growing up! I'm from Germany, so I heard one of them basically every night before bed :)

June 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great choice. Look like it would be good. New Linky Follower

Jenea @ Books Live Forever
http://booksliveforever.com/?p=1952

June 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Nori said...

I want this one so bad!

June 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new version. Nice! I can't wait to check this one out. Thanks for sharing it. My WOW...

June 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger SarahO. said...

I love fairytale retellings!!! Though I'm not really a fan of Philip Pullman I'll definitely be checking this out! Great pick!

My WoW

June 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Auggie said...

I'm very excited about this one. It will be released on my birthday! Meant to be mine!

June 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Jealous! I really want to buy a German edition of the Grimm's tales!

June 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Haha, so meant to be!

June 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oooh this looks great. Love your blog, I'm a new follower.

And you have a great first name :-)

Would love you to visit my blog, Ensconced in YA

http://cahreviews.blogspot.com

June 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home