<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Top Ten Secondary Characters Who Stole the Show

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Top Ten Secondary Characters Who Stole the Show

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Warning: This list will include fangirling, more than 10 characters, disorder, and spoil a couple of character deaths, but only ones you should know by now. The sneaky ones will remain in wait.

Humanoid Companions
This category consists of humans. Well, mostly. Humanoid because of that one pesky robot. Otherwise I would have had to make a FIFTH section, and that would just be silly.


Colonel Fitzwilliam from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Colonel Fitzwilliam is just the best, and I would totally ship him with Lizzie if she and Darcy were not MTB and everything. He's a great friend to Lizzie and Darcy both. P&P would not end happily were it not for his existence, I feel. And Lady Catherine's. Mwahaha. Oh, also, I approve of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries version where he's gay. That SO works. Anyway, just love him.
Finnick from Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: Here's the beginning of them breaking my heart. A lot of my favorites die. HOW DO THE AUTHORS KNOW? HOW? *coughs* Excuse me. Also, before you yell at me, you should have read the books and not waited for the movies. This is your own fault.
Miss Honey from Matilda by Roald Dahl: Do not even pretend that after you read this book you didn't sort of wish you had evil parents so that Miss Honey would adopt you.
Uncle Mort from the Croak trilogy by Gina Damico: I can has? Uncle Mort is hilarious, incredibly brilliant, sarcastic, hot and totally of an age where I am legitimately allowed to give him book boyfriend status. He has a sort of long distance girlfriend, but I'm sure I can take care of that.
Hamlet from Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde: Now, he MAY be a main character somewhere else, but who cares about that? Hamlet, the fictional character, is all meta and running around London. He's basically hilarious. He does things like going to critique all performances of Hamlet and having a meltdown trying to order a coffee because there are SO. MANY. CHOICES. As we all know, Hamlet and decisive do not go hand-in-hand.
Mahir from the Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant: Okay, so I basically love Shaun and Georgia's whole team, but I have a special spot in my heart for Mahir. He's just so classy and intelligent. I basically picture him like THIS.
Michi from Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff: Badass lady who is awesome. Would have a lady crush on her, except that Kat Kennedy totally called it first, and I am NOT getting in Kat's way. She is Australian and would no doubt sic spiders and kangaroos on me.
Nehemia from Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: A YA best friend who does not hate the heroine for being more beautiful? A friendship based on shared interests and mutual respect? WHUH. Basically, I friendship Celaena and Nehemia really hard.
Tom from Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry: Hot Asian. With abs. And not a teen. Also, he is awesome at zombie-killing, which comes in handy. Basically, Tom's a really good guy, and he takes great care of his brother even though Benny's sort of a snot for much of the beginning of the series.
Iko and Captain Thorne from Scarlet by Marissa Meyer: THESE TWO ARE THE BEST. I ship them a lot. Even though Iko's a robot and currently a spaceship, and Thorne is human. DETAILS.
Elend from Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson: Okay, so, I'm cheating a little (Does this surprise you? If so, REALLY?), but Elend really isn't a major player in the first book. He's OBVIOUSLY going to be the love interest/a main character later, but in Mistborn he's secondary, but PRIMARY IN MY HEART.

Animal Companions
Furry creatures (or sometimes scaly) are some of my favorite characters in fiction. I mean, when a person dies in my book, I'm like OOOH. When an animal dies, I weep and yell at the book and it's a whole emotional mess of a thing.


Rex from the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich: Rex is Stephanie's hamster, and he is adorable. He's super chill and loves all food ever and lives in a tomato soup can. I think once he was in danger and I was SO CONCERNED.
Buruu and Daken from Stormdancer and Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff: BURUU MADE ALL CAPS AWESOME AGAIN. Daken is a cat and he is awesome.
Igor from The Year of Shadows by Claire Legrand: Another cat. This one might talk like Cary Grant.
Wolf from Winter Omens by Trisha Leigh: Such a wonderful doggy companion. Warm and snuggly and sweet and catches food for youuuu.
Ramoth from Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey: How much did I want to live on Pern and have a dragon best friend? SO MUCH. (Also, you get to have strange but really hot our-dragons-are-into-each-other sex. This could get problematic fast, but whatevs ignore that.)
Manchee from The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness: MANCHEEEEE! This puppy has such a rough life, but he is so sweet and determined and would never leave your side.
Hedwig from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: I loved a lot of the animals, but Hedwig has been with you for seven books. I cried BUCKETS of tears when she died. ROWLING, HOW COULD YOU? (Again, if you haven't seen the movies OR read the books, you deserve this spoiler. OWN IT.)
A-Through-L from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente: A dragon who is also half of an encyclopedia. He's part library. I mean, come on. Clearly, he is the best companion ever.
Ampersand from Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan: Generally, monkeys aren't my favorite animals, but Ampersand is fabulous.

Best of Both Worlds
Can't decide between a human companion and one of some other sort of animal variety? I have you covered. You may also choose one of the rare shifter models. With them at your side, you're ready for anything!


Rory from the Spiritwalker trilogy by Kate Elliott: Rory is the main character's brother and he's half cougar. Also, he's a HUGE flirt and acts like such a cat even as a human. He's hilarious and ridiculous and I love him.
Orma from Seraphina by Rachel Hartman: Orma is a grumpy old man/dragon, and it's fantastic. One of my favorite quotes was one where he was talking about how much he hates kids. Love it!
Hatsuharu and Kureno Sohma from Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya: Since I couldn't just be like EVERY CHARACTER FROM FRUITS BASKET, I limited myself to my two favorite non-MC Sohmas. Hatsuharu is, honestly, just kinda hot, but, on top of that, he's very loving and devoted. Kureno has a really compelling story ARC and he's this really nice, selfless guy, which I usually do not go for, but love here.

Sassy Grandmas
Finally, I noticed a trend in fiction that grandmothers are often the best. Thus, I want to highlight some books with wonderful, sassy grandmothers. Since these are mostly YA and the MC isn't going to call grandma by her first name, they're pretty much all Gram or Grandma, so I'm just putting the book. Sorry, Gram. I also won't break these out individually, but these are the grandmas who are bossy, say hilariously inappropriate things, and always have your back. I know I'm forgetting some but still, a respectable showing!


Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell
Famous Last Words by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
The Bookie's Son by Andrew Goldstein
The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Delcroix Academy series by Inara Scott

That was closer to thirty than ten, but I have no regrets. Do you love any of these characters? If so, FLAIL WITH ME!

Labels:

60 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

It disturbs me how many of these I agree with you on. I mean, us, agreeing? That is just a no-no on so many levels. From Sassy Grams, to Iko and Captain Throne I could not stop agreeing with you. And yes! Fitz in Lizzie Bennet Diaries. 2 me u r purfect.

Also, Ms. Honey. I love you so much.

August 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nominate Strumhound fro Siege and Storm!

August 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, I was going to say about Elend! =P But that's true, in the first novel he really is a secondary character. Yay for a Mistborn shoutout (another character from that book made it on my list this week)

Colonel Fitzwilliam is ace, he was such a good friend =)

My TTT

August 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Alexia Boesen said...

I just commented on Gillian's post on the same topic.

Here's what I said there:

Okay I think I'll have to use this for my Friday post. However I am in agreement with you. Basically my entire list could be summed up in two book series: Harry Potter series & The Hunger Games trilogy. If I had to pick five from each of those two...

HP
Snape
Sirius
Lupin
Tonks
Luna

THG Trilogy
Finnick
Cinna
Annie (I know she was barely in there but I don't care)
Johanna
Prim

Done...

I nearly sent JKR AND Suzanne Collins my therapy bills for both series and I am not even joking.

And yes I am a TOTAL fangirl for both of these series.

August 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Colonel Fitzwilliam - Yes! As loathe as I am to admit it for fear of public stoning, there was always a small part of me that thought that he and Elizabeth would have made a wonderful couple. He was such a sensitive, sweet character and was really the unsung hero of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's relationship.

I came *this close* to adding Audrey's cat, Bendomolena, from Robin Benway's Audrey, Wait! to my list this week, so I heartily agree with your choice to highlight animal companions. Sometimes they make the best and most interesting secondary characters of all :) Conversely, I'm currently kicking myself for forgetting to add Hedwig to my own list this week *Sigh*

August 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Loving your list. Thorne totally reminds me strangely of Captain Jack Harkness and Iko is amazing. I picked Lydia from Pride and Prejudice for my list (more because she's memorable than because I like her) but pretty much ALL the secondary characters from that book stand out!

August 27, 2013 at 12:32 AM  
Blogger Lynn K. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM  
Blogger Lynn K. said...

Love your GIFs and categories! I only recognise a handful of them but yes to Buruu,Hatsuharu,Kureno,Iko,Finnick,Michi,ORMA!

*BOOM* <-- that's the sound of my TBR exploding. Thanks for making me add all those books to GR.

(If I made a list almost all of the side characters from the Kate Daniels series would make this list!)

August 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very much a secondary character but I loved Walton in the Insignia series by S.J. Kincaid. Mars from Maniac Maggee is a classic.

As for animals... Gratch from the Sword of Truth series.

August 27, 2013 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger lillylilac said...

Great list, I love Haru and Kureno as well and I also put some Fruits Basket characters on my list although not these two and I could have easily filled my list Fruits Basket characters as well.

August 27, 2013 at 2:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I MUST READ THIS SOMETHING ROTTEN YOU SPEAK OF UP THERE. It sounds wonderful.
Also. Finnick. And Nehemiah. Both were on my list too. :D I don't know how I went without thinking of Miss Honey. I love her. This list is great. Hedwig! Buruu!

And now my TBR pile grows a little bit bigger. ;)

<3
Pixie

August 27, 2013 at 2:54 AM  
Blogger Ula said...

Wow, you gave this a lot of thought! :) I loved Finnick, Iko and Thorne! I have yet to read many of these books to meet other characters. :)

My TTT

August 27, 2013 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I saw Stephanie Plum, I thought you were gonna pick Bob. Rex is cool but Bob is freakin' hilarious!
Oh and Hatsaharu Sohma is indeed hotttt! I love it when he goes 'black'. There was this one particularly scene where he dragged someone into the toilet to show him that he was also 'that color down there' which had been on the floor! I do love Momiji as well, he's such a cutey!

August 27, 2013 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger Charlotte @ Gypsy Reviews said...

I didn't really take much notice of Colonel Fitzwilliam when I read P&P but Fitz in LBD was just FANTASTIC. Also, Finnick *sobs forever* Michi is just so badass she can win all the awards, I'm so in for more Michi in the 3rd book.

Okay I haven't read the 2nd Lunar Chronicles book yet but OMG IKO IS A SPACESHIP NOW?! I'M SO HAPPY :')

Buruu needs to write a Guide to Human Attraction or Dating, it will be the most awesome book ever.

August 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I love the Sassy Grandmas section! Plus, I completely agree with Tom from Rot and Ruin. That is one of my absolute favorite books, and Tom is certainly the hero. Miss Honey from Matilda is also a creative choice, and your caption for her is very funny.
Check out my TTT list: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

August 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that your broke it up into these categories. I love the Disney GIFs ever more.

I like that you also did a mixture of classic and modern novels. We can't forget about the longtime treasured characters - I picked Colonel Fitzwilliam myself. I loved him in LBD too - perhaps a bit more than the novel version...

This is the second time I've seen Uncle Mort on this list, so I'm glad I picked up Cloak from Barnes & Noble on a whim. Okay, maybe your review and the read along that you did on Twitter of one of the sequels had a little bit to do with it.

My TTT!

August 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Do we never agree? Is this a thing? I totally didn't realize we were at war. So, you know, oops.

Also, lol at Captain Throne. He would totally love a throne.

LOVE, ACTUALLY REFERENCE!

August 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

See, I love Sturmhond, but he's a primary character to me, because I think he has a solid shot at love interest.

August 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

No, we always agree, I was just making a bad joke. Of course you do hate me, so what do I know. ;)

(Again, Joking!)

August 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Brain: *besplodes*

Well, that was as clear as an unclear thing.

August 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

YEAH. I haven't read the rest of the series yet. And I wanted to promote Elend more SO I DID.

August 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Cool. I'll get to Gillian's soon and I bet it's awesome, because she is.

Ah, see, I didn't want to go TOO crazy on a particular book. I went with Hedwig even though she's not my fave, because I wanted to honor a different section of HP than I usually do. My faves in HP are:
Sirius
Lupin
Fred
George
Tonks

THG:
I would need to reread tbh, but Finnick has a special place in my heart and my mind's eyes.

August 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I thought that for a while on my first read through, but then I was struck in the feels, and I ship Darcy/Elizabeth like whoa. I will take banter over sweetness any day. I fear for any potential relationships I might have in the future. After I read P&P, I totally developed a crush on a guy I'd previously loathed.

Audrey, Wait has an awesome cat! Sign me up!

August 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I love how you split your list up. I didn't even THINK of animal companions. Silly me. Igor and Hedwig are both too awesome for words.

I love sassy grandmas.

And you win the Internet today for Colonel Fitzwilliam AND a GIF of David Tenant looking sexy and adorable at the same time.

WELL DONE.

August 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Why, thank you! Captain Jack! Thorne does not have the suaveness of Captain Jack, but he sure THINKS he does. :) That is why I love P&P so much.

August 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks! I was inspired. And wanting to cheat.

Yay for TBR explosions. They are good for the soul.

(I haven't read Kate Daniels yet! eep!)

August 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh, I haven't read Insignia yet or Maniac Magee...or The Sword of Truth, but yay for them!

August 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Hurrah! Fruits Basket love for the win!

August 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Christina & Melissa @ Allodoxophobia said...

<3 Miss Honey! Yay for teachers!

August 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, fair point.

I don't think he'll end up as Alina's final love interest, but a girl's gotta dream! He's got my vote!

August 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MANCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

He deserves his own comment entirely. That is how much I love him.

August 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anyway, continuing on, I too adore Iko and Thorne, and a lot of people have mentioned them so they're getting the love they deserve! Orma, totally. I love how the emotions slowly start to draw out of him as the story goes on.

I really can't wait to read Stormdancer/Kinslayer and The Year of Shadows. The characters sound so FABULOUS.

August 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yes, Pixie! You should. Thursday Next is a very up and down series, but 1, 4, and 6 are amazing.

MOAR BOOKS!

August 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Mmmmmmmm Tom. He can be my zombie killer any day of the week.

I always wished my teachers were Miss Honey. It makes me want to read Matilda again.

Great list, you creative little thing you!

August 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Miss Honey! She was so awesome. I felt the same way about Colonel Fitzwilliam, except that naturally Elizabeth has to love Mr. Darcy. It would've been so nice if we'd gotten to see Fitz settle down with a nice lady in the book!

August 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That I did! I have way more fun if I am not half-hearted about my lists.

August 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Uncle Mort is the freaking best. Love seeing Mahir on here. :) Did you read Mira's recent novella, "How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea"? It's told from Mahir's POV. Manchee!! Freaking best animal in fiction... but I do love A through L as well. :) Fantastic list.

August 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Ha, Bob is funny, but I don't LOVE Bob. I'm amused by Bob. I have large affectionate feelings for Rex.

OH YEAH. Hatsuharu is just. *fans self*

August 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Really? Awwwww, I've always loved him.

MORE MICHI!

Yeah, it's a spoiler, but not a spoilery spoiler. She's a ship, and she hates it, but lol it's the best.

I WOULD READ THAT.

August 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Steena said...

That is THE best Mahir!

August 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks! I've been wanting to do something on them, but tucking them in here worked well!

August 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MANCHEE. "TODD, TODD". This list broke my heart, it's so perfect. I also included Manchee on my list! I'm actually surprised there's no Cinna on your list, I had to sacrifice putting Finnick on the list so I only had 10. You're such a rebel with your 30ish picks!
-Scott Reads It

August 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thank you! I thought my disney gifs were inspired.

Oh yeah, I like to mix up all of the age groups and old stuff and new stuff. ALL OF THE AWESOME THINGS! I may have loved the LBD version a bit more too, but, shhh, don't tell novel Fitzwilliam.

OH REALLY? Who else loves Uncle Mort? OH, KINDRED SPIRIT, KEEP YO HANDS OFF. I hope you love it!

August 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, it was Lili over at http://lilisreflections.blogspot.com/

August 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Bahaha, of course it was Lili! Should have known. She's too young for him anyway. We're all good.

August 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger GillyB said...

LOVE Col Fitzwilliam and how he totes has a crush on Lizzy.

I totally would have abandoned my family for Miss Honey in a heartbeat.

MICHI. YES. *plots how to steal Michi away from Kat*

EVERYTHING you just said about Nehemia and Celaena. YES.

I SHIP THORNE WITH ME. Sorry, Iko, my other love.

BUUUUUUURUUUUUUUUUUU

"Again, if you haven't seen the movies OR read the books, you deserve this spoiler. OWN IT." LOLZ. Also, Hedwig. SOBZ.

BE PREPAAAAAAAAAAAARED! I love Scar and his sassy shoulder. Own that sassy shoulder lift, Scar.

Orma, grumpy old dragon man after my own heart.

"WHO SPIT IN HER BEAN CURD?"

DISNEY REFERENCES ACKNOWLEDGED.

August 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I love how I split my list up too. I am a GENIUS. I love animals so muuuuuch. Except for the human ones. They are the worst. Mostly.

David Tennant pretty much always looks both sexy and adorable. I don't know WHY I'm so attracted to him (accent), but I really (accent) am (accent).

August 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

She's one of the best!

August 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Manchee. I knew that would happen but GAH MY FEELS.

Totally loved Orma when he was just grouchy, but my feels when he comes out of the hard shell a bit.

OH MAN. READ THEM!

August 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, sassy grandmas are the best! I loved Gram from The Sky is Everywhere. Definitely an awesome secondary character.

Also, Marissa Meyer better make Thorne and Iko happen. Just sayin'.

August 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Nope, he's mine. You can kill your own zombies.

WHY THANK YOU!

August 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Yay! I'm glad you mentioned Ms Honey on your list!

August 28, 2013 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

She was! So sweet. Or a nice dude. Gay or straight, Fitz deserves someone nice!

August 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

YES, he is. Love him so hard. Nope, I haven't read any of the novellas. Much as I love Mira Grant, I find the whole novella trend frustrating.

August 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

YAY! I want this movie.

August 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

You are attracted to him because he is adorable and sexy all the time. Or maybe that's just me.

August 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Everyone loves him. Curses on Patrick Ness for my feels. Ha, well, I do not remember book Cinna all that well, tbh.

August 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

BAHAHAHA, you would. But I did just murder Elisa in my mind, so no judgment.

He is a grumpy old dragon man after my own heart.

August 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

They really are the best.

I'm not sure how it will happen, but I want it!

August 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

"Also, before you yell at me, you should have read the books and not waited for the movies. This is your own fault." HAHAHAHAHAH

I love that you have Hamlet from Something Rotten on here! I <3 Jasper Fford so much. My list was all animals, so I almost had Pickwick on mine! And also I am so in love with Fruits Basket! It was my first real anime and second manga :)

My last name has Honey in it so when I was student teaching my students wanted to know if they could shorten my name to Miss Honey... and outside I was all "Oh yes of course" but inside I was all "SQUEEEE I'M MISS HONEY!!!" Of course the kids didn't know because middle schoolers don't read such things anymore, I've been informed

August 29, 2013 at 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home