<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: 15 Day Book Blogging Challenge, Day 5: Tear Jerkers

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Friday, September 6, 2013

15 Day Book Blogging Challenge, Day 5: Tear Jerkers

Okay, so I'm late boarding this train, but I want to be part of the fun too. I asked on Twitter for buddies, so that I wouldn't be alone in taking this epic journey. Thankfully, bloggers are awesome people, so I quickly found three friends to travel with me through the book blogger challenge: Lili of Lili's Reflections, Mickey of I'm a Book Shark and Jessie of Ageless Pages Reviews, so make sure you check out their responses too! We'll be doing one challenge a week every Friday for fifteen weeks. For more information on the challenge itself, go visit Good Books and Good Wine's explanation post here.


When I was a teen, one of the main reasons I avoided teen novels was because I was stolidly anti-tear jerker. I mean, why would a want a book to make me cry? UGH. Also, the offerings at the time that were supposedly requiring of tissues were like Lurlene McDaniel and Nicholas Sparks. Let me just say right now: these things will not make me cry; they will either result in rage, unintended naps, or hysterical laughter.

Tobias, however, finds these books quite moving.

However, in recent years, I have come to appreciate the value of a book that will make me feel so strongly that I weep tears for people who do not exist. It's certainly a better reason to cry than because I'm freaking out about something. Usually tear jerkers, which I would classify as books intended to make you cry, do not actually result in tears from me. One of the rare exceptions is Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I ALMOST made it through without tears, but Moyes, that brutal genius, got me in the end. So. Many. Feels.


So, dear friends, what book melted the ice in your tear ducts enough to cause condensation on your face?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Lynn K. said...

ME BEFORE YOU - lots of condensation on my face.

The Hero of Ages, Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan, Jellicoe Road - something fell into my eye. *blinks*

September 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM  
Blogger Charlotte @ Gypsy Reviews said...

See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles, it broke the dam.

I love tearjerkers but unfortunately haven't really read any books lately that got me to that point since See You at Harry's. *scrambles to add Me Before You to my wishlist*

September 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Mickey said...

I'll have to read this one. I'm a sucker for a book that will make me cry!

http://www.imabookshark.com/2013/09/15-day-book-blogger-challenge-day-5.html

September 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger meg said...

Apparently I am a fragile little flower b/c there are a lot of books that have caused my eye holes to leak.

Obviously Harry Potter made me cry all the tears (happy ones, sad ones, frusterated-b/c-I-can't-stop-crying ones). Recently? Froi of the Exiles, Tiger Lily, Eleanor and Park and Feed. Feed especially. I sobbed hysterically.

This is also not counting stuff thats made me tear up but not actually cry. Croiky I am just a big ball of mush aren't I?

September 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

FACIAL CONDENSATION TO THE MAX.

Oh no, what is Sanderson going to do to me in The Hero of Ages? *cowers*

September 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh, really? I've heard some good things about that one but haven't read. I will make note of this!

September 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Woo, hope you love it too!

September 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Bahaha, I guess so. I am hard-hearted.

Oh man, HP 5 and 7 were so much weeping. Also Mockingjay. Ooh, actually, I don't know if I cried at the end of Feed. I think I may have just stared at in shock.

Just tearing up is something else. Several have made me tear up, but I don't actually shed a tear much.

September 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

GOD that book! I almost made it too, just a few misty eyes and then BAM, face-flood.

The only other book that made me cry was Forbidden.

September 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YES. This book was way too damn emotional. All the feeeeeellsssss.

September 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM  
Blogger Nara said...

Oh wow this book sounds rather amazing! Actually, my coblogger just read it yesterday and she said she got teary in the first 30% haha. Definitely adding it to my TBR.

I really don't tend to cry in books, the last one that actually had me shed a tear was The Fault in Our Stars. That ending letter just broke me.

September 7, 2013 at 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Code Name Verity. I have read that book four times and been reduced to fetal position on the floor sobbing hysterically every damn time.

September 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Elizabeth Wein's Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire-both just destroyed me.

September 14, 2013 at 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home